Thumbs, surgery, and bacteria

I never realized how important our thumbs are until I temporarily lost the use of one of them.  Thumbs are vital!  Think about it; if we didn't have thumbs, how could we text each?  How could we hold our eating utensils?  Horrifying! 
About seven years ago, I noticed that the joint at the bottom of my right thumb had grown a huge bump; it was a bone spur.  It wasn't particularly painful, just ugly and deformed.  I went to a hand surgeon.  At his office, an x-ray confirmed that I had osteoarthritis.  Weird, especially since I am left-handed, and, at that point, I was still sort of young.  I asked the doctor about treatment.  "There's surgery, but we can try a cortisone shot and see if that helps," he said.  I asked if the shot would hurt.  "It won't hurt me," he replied.  Ha ha, what a smart ass. The damned shot hurt like hell, and the thumb lump laughed at its impotence.  So, surgery; I trusted this doctor, despite his questionable sense of humor.  The surgery was successful and the  bump was vanquished.  I had a cast on my hand while the joint healed.  That's when I realized how much I depended on my thumb.  I missed it when it was immobile.  When the cast came off, I regained full use of this adorable digit.  Happy ending.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago.  That same thumb joint started acting up; this time, there was no bone spur, just a lot of pain.  I learned that the cartilage and fluid that prevent the bones in our joints from rubbing against each other wears down as we age.  My thumb bones were in a fist fight with gloves off.  

Today is Friday and my surgery is on Monday.  At this morning's pre-op appointment, they weighed me, took my blood pressure and some of my blood, and gave me lots of instructions about what I can and cannot do prior to the surgery.  I've had a couple of surgeries in years past, but never so many instructions about avoiding bacterial infections.  Yikes!  On the night before surgery, I must put clean linens on my bed, take a shower, apply Chlorhexidine wipes two hours after my shower, and wear clean pajamas to bed.  I am going to be super duper anti-bacterial.  

I will report on the outcome, but typing will take a bit longer with the temporary loss of my right thumb.  I'll miss it, but I am confident that my thumb and I will have a full recovery.  Meanwhile, appreciate your thumbs!  Thumbs up!!!

Comments

  1. Remember father-in-law Robert De Niro (?) in Meet the Fockers? I remember his character talking about opposable thumbs. Don't ask me why/how I remember trivia like this - I just do!

    Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow. I am familiar with the pre-surgery routine, including Chlorhexidine wipes for a lump on my head (benign, thank God!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marian, thank you, and thank God the lump was benign. We need wonderful, supportive friends like you in our world.

      Delete
  2. Hope the surgery has gone well. Thumbs and other parts matter but won't last forever. Glad to see a blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short