A Raccoon Pooped in My Birdseed

We have a covered patio at the back of our house.  It's great for morning coffee, afternoon wine, bird-watching, and just enjoying the peace and quiet.  Our patio has some plants, a small table and chairs, and a supply of birdseed in a large covered plastic container.  The patio is adjacent to our bedroom.
  
I'm normally a pretty heavy sleeper, but one night I was awakened by a noise outside our bedroom window.  It was coming from the patio.  Of course, I woke up my husband, "Bill, there's SOMETHING OUT THERE!!!"  I ran to the kitchen to turn on the patio light.  By the time I got the light on, the raccoon was retreating.  He/she/it got away quickly.  When we checked the patio the next day, there was no sign of damage.  No problem.

The next night, I heard it again; same deal, raccoon got scared and scurried into the night.  The following morning, I saw the damage.  The raccoon had gotten the lid off the birdseed.  There was plenty of birdseed left in the container, but Rocky (I named the raccoon after a Beatles song)  had deposited a gift for us.  Maybe we scared the poop out of him, or maybe it was just his regular pooping time, but there was a significant "deposit."  

I don't touch poop in the best of circumstances (whatever those may be...), but raccoon poop is especially troubling.  Of course, I Googled it.  I wasn't going to mess with that stuff until I knew how bad it might be.  Turns out, it's pretty, pretty, pretty bad.  According to the CDC, "Raccoons are the primary host of Baylisascaris procyonis, a roundworm that can be harmful to people. Roundworm eggs are passed in the feces of infected raccoons, and people become infected by ingesting eggs."  (see https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisascaris/resources/raccoonLatrines.pdf) Blech. This website also warns of the dangers of cleaning out a "raccoon latrine."  If one decides, for whatever misguided reason, to attempt such a thing, precautions include:  "Preparation • Take care to avoid contaminating hands and clothes. • Wear disposable gloves. • Wear rubber boots that can be scrubbed or cover your shoes with disposable bootie that can be thrown away, so that you do not bring eggs into your household. • Wear a N95-rated respirator (available at local hardware stores) if working in a confined space to prevent accidental ingestion of eggs or other harmful materials."  Fun stuff.

Of course, my husband offered to clean up the poop.  I warned him against it and pointed out all the reasons why he shouldn't go there.  Literally, DO NOT GO THERE.  Of course, he went there.  Men.  He's still alive.  I will let you know if anything changes.  

Comments

  1. We live on a five acre plot of land, close to the water, with some woods. We have a variety of lifeforms that lives with us. One night, we heard something in one of our bird seed containers, so i snuck out, and whacked it on its rather substantial behind with a broom. It squealed, and ran off, never to return. It had over turned our bird seed bucket before, so i was ready for it to go. We named the unattractive nocturnal scavenger, after a former administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Loved the ending - can SO relate!

    We don't have 'coons. I see armadillos at night and baby ones in broad daylight, the nerve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marian,

      Tons of armadillos; they have made a holey mess of our backyard. I once found one trying mightily to get out of our pool. I fished him/her out, but I don't know what happened after that. I'm hoping he/she got back home...wherever that may be.

      Delete
  3. I have a dead manatee in my yard, Florida fish and wildlife service is on the way to remove it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only you, Eric, only you could have a dead manatee in your yard! Hope all went well with manatee removal.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short