Bleached blonde

When I was born, my hair was blonde.  Many babies have blonde hair, and mine remained blonde for a few years.  When it started to turn darker, my mother was unhappy; apparently, she really wanted a blonde daughter.  Out came the peroxide, and my first bleach job.

Through the years, my mother was dedicated to the task of keeping me blonde. How she found the time, I don't know.  She was an obstetrician/gynecologist, the only female OB/GYN in the area.  Her office was in our home, and she was very, very busy.  I don't remember much from my young childhood, but I have vivid memories of trips to the drugstore during my adolescence.  My mother and I would survey the hair color aisle to choose the blonde of the month; ash blonde, golden blonde, dirty blonde, etc., then go home and fix me.  I never thought much about it until I was getting ready to go away to college: the maintenance; the deception; the identity crisis!  In an act of sheer and total rebellion, I took myself to a hair salon and got my hair browned.  Everyone was shocked, not just at the mousy hair, but at my insubordination.  Dr. Kelly's daughter - what happened to her and her HAIR???? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short