Home is where the backyard is

I've lived in a few places:  my parents' house, my dorm at college, my first apartment, my second apartment, my third apartment, my first home with my husband, and our second home, and finally (I hope) our third and last home.  With each place, I discovered that I liked some things and never wanted to see others again.  Never again a corner house, never again a hundred year old house with no air conditioning, never again a house in a flood zone, never again a house that backs up to multiple other houses.  I've found that I value my privacy and a back yard that enables it.  We bought our house based on the back yard; the house itself is fine, but the yard is beautiful.  We have trees, a covered porch, and, because we live in Florida, we have a pool.  My favorite thing is to sit on the porch in the evening, watching the birds at the feeders and the birdbaths, and listening to the quiet.  Yesterday there were two raccoons checking out the yard and the feeders.  The occasional stray cat wanders through.  But, it is the quiet, the peace, and the privacy that I love.  I know I am very, very fortunate to have such a place, and I am grateful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short