Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics, a book by Dan Harris

I retired on May 31.  I had the idea that I would JUMP into retirement and do all the things that I never did before because I didn't have the time.  That didn't happen, and I am working on getting it together.  One of the things that is helping me is a book recommended by my friend: Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics by Dan Harris.  My friend recommended this book a few years ago, but, of course, I didn't have the time to read it.  (Note: I did have the time!!!  I was afraid of failing.  To be perfectly honest, I was afraid that I would spend my super duper valuable time on the book and then fail.  Isn't that silly?) 

The book is brilliant!  I'm only 60 pages in, but it has been quite a revelation.  I am fidgety.  I can't just sit and read the  newspaper...there's so much else I should be doing!  It's always amazing to realize that one is not alone, and I now know that my fidgety habits are shared by many of us.

This brings me to an entirely different topic:  why study English Literature?  Yes, that was my major in college, much to my mother's dismay.  "What are you going to do with THAT?" said the medical doctor.  I didn't have an answer except that I loved it, and that in itself seemed valuable.  Anyway, I'll never forget one course devoted to medieval literature.  Early on, our professor asked us, "Why do we study literature?"  The answer: to know that we aren't alone, and that the feelings, worries, experiences we are having have been around forever.  We are not alone.  My experiences in common with Harris's, and the potential to control some of my fidgety behavior, are great reasons to read this book and to work on practicing meditation.  

I'm excited!

Comments

  1. Stating boldly that you DID have the time is a step is seeing what actually is and knowing that you see it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short