WW (formerly Weight Watchers)

I have been a member of WW (formerly Weight Watchers) for 30 years, off and on.  I joined after I had my second child and was struggling to get back to my "fighting weight."  Back then, there was a lot of calculating involved in food "exchanges" for fat, protein, vegetables, milk bread, etc.  I still have one of the cookbooks from those days that has some great recipes, copyright 1984!  

Today's WW is so much easier to follow and, I think, the healthiest way to maintain a goal weight.  Just like the olden days, a very important part of WW success is tracking one's food consumed and exercise done.  WW has an awesome app that makes tracking nearly painless (of course, tracking things like cheesecake still causes me some guilt).  The app includes a scanner so I can scan the bar code on salad dressing, pasta, canned soup, frozen meals, etc.  It's easy and can be really surprising; just when I start thinking that I've got this, this scanner will remind me that I'm not quite there.  

There are a couple of things that I love the most about WW.  One is the meetings.  My WW meeting leader is brilliant and hysterical.  My Saturday morning group is absolutely raucous, to the point where we have to be shushed.  I always feel sorry for any newcomers who wonder where they've landed.  Is this a tryout for the Comedy Shop?  I've met wonderful and supportive friends who genuinely care about each other and our health.  We see each other every week, and if one of us doesn't show up, the others get concerned.  I always make sure I tell my best WW buddy if I am going to be absent so I can save the others from worrying.

Other than the wonderful friends and support system, the best part about WW is the Lifetime Membership.  I set my weight goal with the help of my WW leader, based on my age, height, etc.  When I reach that goal, I go on "maintenance" for six weeks.  After six weeks, if I am within 2 pounds of the goal, my membership is FREE!!!!  Yes, WW actually rewards me with free access to meetings and online tools as long as I stay within two pounds of my goal.  I think this is amazing!!!  

I could go on and on about the wonders of WW, but I recommend that anyone who wants to maintain a healthy weight give it a try.  The first meeting can be a bit daunting, just as any new experience can be.  However, I don't believe that there is a better lifestyle choice than this.  I speak from lots of pounds gained and lost over the years.

Comments

  1. My wife has really taken to WW's zero points foods. They make tracking much easier. I have benefited, too. I have also benefited by reading "Bright Line Eating" by Susan Peirce Thompson. She has just two rules: no flour and no added sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill! You always have great recommendations on books! I appreciate you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short