In-laws

In-laws can be difficult; my in-laws are amazing.  When I met them, my first thought was, "I want to be part of this family!"  They laugh, they play games (sometimes with ferocity), and it is obvious that they genuinely love each other.  My husband is one of five children; each has her/his own personality, but they have in common their real devotion to the family and to each other.  

My father-in-law passed away more than twelve years ago, two weeks after my daughter was married.  Because he was so ill, my mother-in-law chose to stay with him and did not witness her first grandchild's wedding.  We missed her terribly, but we understood that she needed to be by his side.  He sensed that he was dying, but my mother-in-law didn't want to accept that.  In his hospital bed, he made sure that we all knew how much he loved us.  He told my mother-in-law that she was the best wife anyone could ever have.  She was.  His children and grandchildren came to visit and he had something special to say to each one of them.  What he said to me I won't share here; it was too personal.  It meant the world to me.

Now my mother-in-law is quite ill.  She, who is consistently upbeat, was crying in her hospital room, frustrated by her illness and the doctors' failure to make a diagnosis after countless tests.  Her children are taking turns being with her, and keeping us in the loop.  We live in Florida and everyone else has stayed close to their family home in Philadelphia.  

Tomorrow morning, my husband will drive north to stay with Mom in her home when she is released from the hospital.  He is the only one of the siblings who is retired; he is able to be there to take Mom to various doctor appointments, make sure she has what she needs, is eating enough, etc.  I think the most important thing that my husband will do is ensure that Mom is not alone.  That's what this wonderful family does.  They take care of each other.  


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short