So funny it hurts

I don't remember when I realized that I could make people laugh, but I have a vivid memory of the time my attempt at humor was very hurtful for the target.  I was a freshman in high school, and I was struggling mightily.  I felt quite lost in the crowd and didn't know how to make friends.  To add to the drama, I had gained twenty pounds over the summer, so any friends I had from grade school were shocked and sometimes snarky when they saw me.  I found a few new friends, one of whom was mildly handicapped with a speech impediment.  He wasn't around one day when I decided to mimic his speech to get some laughs.  I'll never forget my shame and embarrassment when he appeared as I was completing my performance.  All these years later, the memory is vivid.

A couple of years ago I was posting on Facebook about my husband's attempts to install lights under the cabinets in our kitchen.  I was having a great time chronicling his failures, including the time when sparks flew out of the electrical outlet.  One of my friends (on Facebook and in "real life") posted that I needed to stop picking on my husband.  He was right, and I told him so (on Facebook and in "real life").  I know I've hurt my children and my friends with this crazy need to be funny and to be loved for being funny.  If it hurts someone, it's not worth it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short