Cataract surgery

It's been a few days since I posted.  I've been recovering from cataract surgery; I want to share some thoughts about the experience.  On the day of my surgery, I expected there would be a crowd of folks waiting for their procedures, but, wow!  What a busy place that surgery center was.  People my age and older were all waiting for the same procedure with the same doctor.  

I don't do well with needles (that's a story for another time), but the nurse who started my IV was wonderful.  As I was being prepped, more patients kept coming in, going through the same process and questions as I.  "Have you had anything to eat or drink, are you able to walk on your own, which eye are we doing today, etc."  While all this was going on, there was a group of staff who were discussing food!  FOOD!  I know that I and the other patients hadn't had anything to eat or drink since midnight, so the last thing we wanted to hear about was steak, bread, butter, half and half vs. almond milk, and various ways to prepare meals.  But, I didn't say anything like, "Hey, we're hungry over here!!!  Stop talking!" Annoying the medical folks prior to surgery probably isn't the best move.

I remember being wheeled back to the surgery room, and the anesthesiologist explaining what would happen.  After that, nothing until I was delivered back to my husband.  Wow!  Great anesthesia, guys!  I know I was conscious, but, nothing.  I highly recommend whatever the heck they gave me.  I'll find out and blog about it; that's how brilliant it was!

Almost a week later, I will go to the doctor today for my check-up and to schedule surgery for the right eye.  I can tell you that the vision in my left eye is AMAZING!  The morning after my surgery, I turned on the light in the bathroom and it was SO WHITE AND BRIGHT!  I said, "Oh, my gosh, it is so bright!!!"  Really, the difference between my two eyes is just unreal.  When I cover my right (old) eye, everything looks sharp and bright (yes, I know I've typed "bright" three times now, but there is no better word), when I cover my left (new) eye, the world is blurry and a dingy, yellow color.  

I am grateful for my new eyesight and for the doctor and the technology that enables this miracle.  We live in a wonderful world, and at times like this, the future is indeed bright! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short