Should I cancel my newspaper subscription? Would you?

I am torn!  I want to continue to support my local newspaper.  I've had the newspaper delivered to my home for as long as I can remember.  When I was young, we had two newspapers, one in the morning, and one in the afternoon.  That was way back when we had only three television stations, almost the stone age!  There was no "all news, all the time" television station.  For local news especially, the newspaper was our best source.  We relied on it.

My local newspaper is struggling financially; the proof is in each daily delivery.  The paper is no longer printed locally, so the most current news has to wait until the next day.  Also, there are more full page advertisements than there are full page stories.  The "Life" section has been absorbed into whatever other section has space for it.  I've written letters to the editor that go unanswered; that makes me sad.  When I travel, I give the paper plenty of notice to halt delivery during the days I will be away.  The paper still appears, and unless a kind neighbor retrieves it, the collection of newspapers accumulating in my driveway just begs for somebody to rob the place.  So, yes, I'm not happy.

This week, we received notice that the newspaper subscription price is increasing.  I want to support the newspaper, but my husband and I are both retired and our combined income has shrunk significantly.  We can get all the news we want online, but...

I would appreciate comments on this.  I already feel guilty, and I haven't cancelled yet.  What do you think?

Comments

  1. I don't have much to offer in the direction of solution ideas. We are in the same situation. I will say that what used to be the Shopper's Guide seems to have morphed into a minor weekly paper. A new local news source has appeared online. The situation seems ripe for change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a gentle suggestion, how about canceling the paper subscription, and only buy a paper copy when say, there is something you would like to frame, or something that you really want to keep?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short