Random thoughts on retirement

I've been retired for almost six months.  Here are some random thoughts on my status thus far.
  • I miss my colleagues!  I knew I would miss them, I just didn't realize how much a part of my life they had become.  I especially miss the laughter we shared.  Thank God for my WW meetings; my friends and I have lots of laughs there.  Also, I think I'm finally winning over some of the folks at my Pilates class, although a few of those ladies are really cranky.  I blame planking. (planky cranky!!!)
  • I miss being called "Doctor McGlone."  Well, you know I worked long and hard on that damned PhD!!!  Outside of academia, the folks in my new world probably don't care too much about my doctoral status.  It meant a lot to me; I guess it still does.
  • I took my awesome employee benefits for granted.  Health insurance is necessary and very costly.  If you have benefits, be grateful!!!
  • Meetings: most were painful, some were bearable, and a few could be fun.  The worst meetings were those at which some long-winded academic let loose a tirade on some random subject about which NOBODY ELSE CARED!!!!  (I'm probably guilty...)  I enjoyed the meetings where I learned something valuable and where there were at least of couple of laughs or, even better, fights breaking out!  Believe it or not, I miss the District Board of Trustees meetings, especially when people started arguing over stuff.  It didn't happen often, but it was fun when it did.  I need to drag my sorry self back there; the meetings are open to the public (scary).  
  • Apparently there is such a thing as too much together time with one's spouse!!!  'Nuff said.  
  • Sleeping past 5:30 a.m. is wonderful. 
  • I'm still struggling to find the best way to fill my days.  I know, I know, everyone would love to have this "problem."  But, after having a pretty tight schedule for lots and lots of years, the gift of free time is a mixed blessing.  I'm working on it.
  • Being free to just take off for a day, a week, a month, is great.  Sometimes I still can't believe that Sunday night is just like every other night...not the night BEFORE MONDAY MORNING!!!  
  • I count my blessings that I was able to retire and that I am healthy enough to enjoy these years (fingers crossed).  I know that I am extremely fortunate to be able to afford to stop working full-time.  I don't take this for granted; I hope I never do.
  • I am happy.  

Comments

  1. Victoria, I can relate. I went back for one semester because of missing colleagues and students. I got over it QUICK because I still had to grade essays. Oy vey!

    It took me several years to find my next groove, no rush. Luxuriate in this transition time: you deserve this!

    (I'm glad you're happy.) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re amazing, Marian! Thank you for the advice; you’re a successful retiree!

      Delete
  2. I think this is one of your best posts so far. Each point resonates with me. Note that your friend Marian says SEVERAL YEARS, years, got it? I hope you are reading, streaming tv, walking, biking, lifting weights, swimming. I hope that you are up and about well mixed with reading, knitting, sewing, editing photos, and whatever else appeals. How is your German, French, Mandarin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Bill! I am reading a lot. I am watching way too much British television. I spent some time today cleaning out my “craft room” (I call it my “crap room”; if you could see it you would understand). I also did some Ancestry.com exploring...still trying to figure out why my grandfather changed his name!!! Thank you for your continued encouragement and support. Oh, I also had my hairdresser put some purple in...it’s temporary but it’s fun. Cheers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short