Pickleball

One of the delusions I had about my retired self is that suddenly I would  want to exercise, like really crave it.  This is similar to the delusion I had about suddenly having the burning desire to clean my house.  Neither of these things has happened; shocking.

Today I tried pickleball at the YMCA.  I do attend Pilates classes there twice a week (if I wake up in time...), and my more motivated husband plays tennis three times a week.  He's been retired much longer than I have, which explains the difference in our levels of motivation.   Anyway, he encouraged me to give pickleball a shot at the 9:30 a.m. session.  His tennis ends at 9, so he figured he and I could learn together.  There are so many reasons why this was NOT a good idea.  First, and honestly, most important, my husband takes medication for his heart.  I really do worry about him doing too much.  Second, the instructor told me after our session that he discourages couples from learning pickleball together.  I understand that!!!  Third, years ago, when my husband and I were first married, he tried to teach me tennis.  His verdict: I have no hand eye coordination.  I haven't tried tennis since.

I feel compelled to interject here that I am left-handed.  In a world of right-handed people, this has been a challenge.  At pickleball today, I discovered that my left-handedness leads me to backhand the ball.  I think it's from all those years of turning my wrist clockwise when writing so my penmanship was up to the Palmer Method standards (damned nuns and their rulers...).  

I did the best I could, and I will not give up.  Here's how the session ended, at least for me:  I fell.  I said to everyone, "Well, that's it for me.  Once I fall, it's time to go."  When my husband came home, he told me that after I fell, the woman who was playing next to me fell, too.  The coach came over and discovered that the floor was wet (it wasn't me...honest, it was a water leak).  Damn!!!  If I had known that, I could have faked a really serious injury and sued the heck out of the YMCA!!!  Another missed opportunity.

Bottom line:  I will go back, and I have asked my husband not to join me.  I think it's best for  both of us if he sticks to tennis and I stick to mastering my hand eye coordination...and staying upright.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short