Global Pandemic Life

Who would have thought that, in our lifetime, we would be living through a global pandemic?  Certainly, not I!  I heard horror stories from my mother and my grandmother about tuberculosis, polio, cancer, etc., but in our time, with our knowledge, technology, communication...can't happen.  

It all began so slowly...I remember watching the Today Show and hearing about some bats in China.  Chinese bats are far away.  Now, I'm wondering which mask I should wear today.  (oh, that was a rhyme!  Yay, me!)  Which mask!  Should I make masks to match my outfits?  Does anybody care?  

I am 65 years old, and I have a pacemaker. I'm not supposed to leave my house.  Not because I will infect anyone, but because I have a "compromised" immune system.  My husband has asthma and a heart condition.  He needs to stay home, too.  This is WAY TOO MUCH TOGETHERNESS!!!

When my husband and I were married, we didn't pay attention to our different political views.  In fact, I don't think we ever really talked about it (young love).  Now, those different political views, in close quarters, day after day, with the news blaring...well, it can be challenging.  Enough of that.

I am also struck by the ease with which I can talk myself out of doing all the things that this free time should enable.  The first thing that comes to mind is exercise.  Granted, I was somewhat restricted for that last couple of months by my hand surgery, but that had nothing to do with my ability to take walks!  How hard is it to leave the house and go for a walk?  I live in Florida and we haven't had a lot of rain lately (damn it!!!  another excuse gone), so...just, so...OKAY, THERE IS NO EXCUSE, OKAY?!?

This would be the perfect time for me to work on my stained glass projects.  Again, the hand.  But, that's 98% healed, so there goes that excuse.  Damn.

Finally, what is it about the global pandemic that makes me forget all the good things that WW (formerly Weight Watchers) had ingrained in me lo these many years?  I am stress eating and entertaining myself with mindless binge-watching.  OMG, Tiger King?!?!  Yes, I watched it all, and no, it didn't make me lose my appetite.  

I have to go watch Schitt's Creek now; time to grab tequila and potato chips.  


Comments

  1. I would tell you parts of your blog post made me laugh, but then I'd make you feel worse. Not going there!

    Actually, at age 78, I can't complain of a compromised immune system or a recent hand injury, but I feel bad nonetheless. My conclusion: We are in a WAR and have BATTLE fatigue. Because the enemy is a ghost, and thus invisible, makes the situation even worse. :-/

    Next week I'm writing about the blow-up in our family, which I must attribute to the pandemic. Actually, my husband wrote about a fight he says I instigated. (I hope you'll take my side!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marian! I’m fine with making you, and others, laugh! Laughter is one of the things I have missed the most in my retirement,
      and especially in this pandemic. So, I hope my post at least brings a smile. I look forward to your blog, and promise to be on your side! p.s., you look at least 20 years younger than your age!!!

      Delete
  2. Tequila and chips are not laughing matter. They are serious and they are important. Where would we be without tequila and chips. Beer and pretzels are not an adequate substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, this is a true story: when I was very young, I got really sick. I don’t remember any of it, but my mother told me that I had a frighteningly high fever and convulsions. I got well enough to sit with my father who shared his beer and pretzels with me. Miraculously, I was healed! True. But, I still prefer potato chips.

      Delete
  3. Love your blog. Makes me feel a little better. I am alone in this quarantine situation. Lots of people check on me, to see if I am ok. Not sure what they will do if I do not answer their call and or email. Most are too far away to do a drive by check. I am very fortunate that I live close to a grocery store and more drive thru/pick up options than I could ever use all of them. Enjoy the fact that if you trip over something, a cat, a dog, your feet, your husband, that there is someone to help and or call 911 to get you up off of the floors. Wonder what the response time is for 911 with this mess. Was planning on traveling to go to my granddaughter’s 3rd birthday party, but even that is on h old. But she will turn 3 party or not. And if I travel, I will have to self quarantine for two weeks, not good. Enjoy that you have someone there with you, no matter how much you get on each other’s nerves. When this is all over, we will get together for lunch and adult drinks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, you are correct, and I appreciate the reminder. I am grateful for my husband. He has always taken care of me, and put up with my crazy (of which there is a LOT). I can’t imagine being alone, either during this crisis or any day. Sometimes in my attempt to be funny, I know I can also be hurtful. I hope you have someone nearby who can help you if you need it. Message me on FB if you need anything. I know this is so hard on people who are missing family.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short