Benefits of Aging

I'm not young, but I don't feel old.  I have trouble accepting the fact that I am in my sixties!!!  Yes, sixties!!!  (I know, my friends, I DO look so much younger 😉.)  When I buy things, I check the warranty and the "use by" date.  Will I expire first?  Hmmm.

I could spend my time, and yours, complaining about the challenges and difficulties of growing older, but I think it's helpful to look on the bright side.  So, I'm going to list a few of the good things about this time of my life.

1.  Great discounts!  Yes, I now have Silver Sneakers through my Florida Blue Medicare!!  Yay!  Among other benefits, my YMCA membership is now FREE!  Yes, FREE!!!  (I know I may be a little too excited here, but I attend a number of classes at the Y, so this is a huge win for me.)  Many companies offer senior discounts, and I have an AARP membership.  

2.  When I get bored, I can watch my upper arms wiggle endlessly.  I remember when my son was three years old and attending his first day at pre-school.  The sweet lady there asked him about his summer; what did he do?  He said, "I visited the wiggly grandmom."  She said, "What made your grandmom wiggly?"  He answered, "When you touch her arm, it wiggles."  Indeed it did wiggle.  Now I am wiggly.  Fun stuff.

3.  I don't have to contemplate (read: worry about) what I will be when I grow up.  I am about as grown up as I will get.  In fact, I'm shrinking. Well, shrinking height-wise, anyway.  My formal education and my career are completed.  But, thanks to programs for seniors, I can continue my education on things that genuinely interest me.  I'm enrolled in a class on improving my iPhone photos.  No grades, no pressure, just fun.

4.  I don't care so much about how I look or what I'm wearing.  I think this nonchalant attitude came with age and just got better (or worse, depending on who has to look at me) during the pandemic.  

5.  Cataracts!  Yes!!!  I couldn't wait for them; I was so excited when the ophthalmologist told me that I had cataracts.  Crazy, right?  NO!  I've been wearing glasses most of my life.  After the cataract surgery, I only need glasses for reading.  My eyes are better than ever. The world is so BRIGHT; I could wear shades, but I don't need a prescription for them.  😎

6. Social Security and Medicare.  I know how fortunate I am to have these benefits.  I hope they last at least as long as I do.

7.  Life is less stressful.  I am very aware that many people don't have the ability to retire and live comfortably.  I do myself a disservice if I rush around, get stressed, worry needlessly.  Now is my time to do what I want to do, learn what I want to learn, be who I want to be.  I can attend fun classes, or just watch my upper arms wiggle.  It's my choice.  

8.  I don't have to take time off from work to go to the doctor.  Believe me, this is HUGE, especially for a hypochondriac such as myself.   Plus, I seem to be developing more mysterious symptoms as I age.  Now, I can spend hours and days visiting doctors, having bloodwork done, and doing horrible things (e.g., colonoscopy prep) to find answers to bewildering struggles.  Life is good.  




    

 

Comments

  1. I just read this excellent post to my wife. We are both well past 80 and finding memories of that youngish age fading into the mist. I would write more but it is time to watch our parts jiggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, and your encouragement always, Bill! I'm happy to know that you and Lynn enjoyed the post. It's important to schedule time for jiggling parts watching. ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short

Confusion