Clothing Conundrum

Clothes: we wear them, we need them, we are judged and judge others for clothing choices.  I hold onto clothes when they no longer fit, or are acceptable in public.  I fall into the trap of what is "in style" and make ugly,  unfortunate mistakes.  For example, I have a lot of leggings!!!  Someone my age, with my wiggly skin and not-so-tiny butt should not wear leggings.  Yet, I convinced myself that I could get away it.  I can't.  Well, maybe I can if I am home alone with no intention of going out...or if I am at my WW meeting where we don't judge.  Leggings weigh very little, so they are perfect for my WW weigh-in.  

I think I struggle more than most people when it comes to confidence in clothing.  I could do what I usually do, and blame my mother.  But, this time, I'll blame twelve years of Catholic school (well, I guess that is my mother's fault, too...hmmm).  For twelve years I wore a uniform to school every day.  I didn't have an opportunity to develop any fashion sense.  As I've explained in previous blog posts, my mother was a medical doctor.  She was an obstetrician/gynecologist; if she wasn't having office hours (in our house!!!), she was off delivering babies at the hospital.  She didn't have a lot of free time to take my sister and me clothes shopping.  She would go to the store when time permitted and get some clothes that she thought would fit us.  Some of her choices bordered on tragic.  Sigh.  She did the best she could.

So, back to the uniforms.  Yes, knee socks and saddle shoes.  Wearing my uniform didn't bother me when I was in school, but God forbid I had to go anywhere else.  Catholic school uniforms were not the epitome of cool.  

When it was time to head off to college, my mom had to buy me some clothes that I would wear to class every single day (!), not just clothes for after-school and weekends.  Back then, in the olden days, it was jeans and painter pants...and, worst of all, bra burning.  Yes, I am that old.  Yes, it was very uncomfortable, and regretful on countless levels for me personally.  Enough of that.  I'll have nightmares tonight.

Finally, in my retirement and the pandemic, I have turned into my mother.  I couldn't understand how she could wear the same clothes day in, day out.  I understand now.   

Comments

  1. Me too! I wore Mennonite garb for 23 years. Then I bought and made fancy clothes. For my years at the College, I enjoyed professional fashions.

    Now, like you, I have gotten attached to my clothes. I don't remember the last time I've bought anything new. The old ones do just fine. Not ashamed of myself either!

    Happy Thanksgiving, Victoria and fam. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as always, dear Marian! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, this is awesome. It's strange how we attach emotion and memories to clothes (makes me think of the cleaning show with the oriental lady and her process w gleening based on joy - or lack thereof). I just had a talk w the kiddos tonight. One asked about fashion and if I would help. Btw we've ALWAYS had Goodwill and second hand stores "lead the way" for the littles (and myself) for most of our lives. We also have 5 out of 6 kids in uniforms and I think I'd die if I had to separately clothe, uniquely, each child, each day. I've always done rewears, recycling, and keep for seasons and weight fluctuations - it's organized chaos. It is definitely rediculous (in my closets). Organized and clean, nonetheless, ridiculous and full of stories. I love the clothes conundrum and that you're able to attach a nice range of emotions w your writings. It is also nice that you're understanding more about how your mom did what she did. I love how forgiving you are. It is a good way to be. You're so neat, Victoria. I love your clothes and you, quite frankly, can pull anything off. Ok, wait, well you know what I mean. You truly could wear any style because your personality lends to being a trend setter, not follower! Haaaa

    Good read. I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short