Vaccination for COVID-19 - Part 2

Last week I wrote about my journey to receive the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.  In Jacksonville we were well on our way to getting folks vaccinated...until yesterday when our mayor announced that, due to a "national logistics issue," local vaccination sites may run out of vaccines by the end of day tomorrow.  My husband tried to get his first vaccination dose last Thursday, but all of the approximately 500 daily doses had been claimed by folks arriving earlier in the day.  He plans to get to the vaccination site early tomorrow morning and wait in line with hundreds of others.  Fingers crossed.

So, to continue my vaccination story...

When I arrived at the site, there were a lot of cars and a shortage of parking spots.  Police were directing the slow-moving traffic.  I rolled down my car window and asked them where to park (of course I did; it's what I do).  "Anywhere you can find a space," one answered.  Cars were in the grass on the side of the road, on local residential streets, and in a grassy spot a couple of blocks away.  I chose the grassy spot and walked.  Walking is good for me. As I approached the vaccination site from the opposite side of the street, a gentleman said to me, "Best not to try to cross the street until you get to where the police are stopping traffic."  Yep.  Lots of cars, not a lot of stopping.  When I got to the point where police were directing pedestrian crossing, I had to wait a bit.  After crossing the street with the policeman's help, I stopped to talk to him (it's what I do).  I thanked him for his service and asked him how things were going.  He said something like it would be a lot better if the powers that be had taken into account the lack of parking...but, he said it with a smile, like, this is par for the course...

Next stop: the line.  It wasn't as bad as I expected.  A Jacksonville Fire and Rescue (JFRD) officer was checking forms and IDs to confirm status as Duval County residents over 65.  I told him that I am 66, but look like I'm in my 40s. That confused him for a moment...too many numbers, too many people.  He said, "You're too young to be here" and I said, "Got ya...sorry!"  Thank God he had a sense of humor.  I just can't help myself.  It's sad, and someday it will get me into serious trouble.  He gave me a ticket (a good ticket) and told me I was in!  Yay!

While in line I had a lovely conversation with the people behind me.  She is a retired teacher, he worked for CSX.  Well, that's all I needed!  My daughter was a teacher, and my husband worked for CSX...enough in common to keep us talking for hours.  As we chatted and worked our way toward the door, I noticed that the elderly lady in front of me was alone.  She was quite thin and frail.  She was also confused, poor thing.  She asked one of the JFRD guys for help.  He was very kind and patient.  Next stop: another JFRD officer had another form; he was seated on a chair with a clipboard.  The frail lady in front of me was having lots of trouble with the form.  This officer had her sit on his chair while he stood and patiently assisted her.  This made me happy.  I asked both officers for their names and thanked them for being nice.

Finally, I got to the front of the line.  Show time!  The vaccination process was extremely well organized with plenty of efficient, helpful staff.  It was a cold day, so I had worn a long sleeved shirt...that was stupid.  I had to extract my arm from that shirt for the shot, exposing parts of me that are best left unseen.  The shot was quick and painless (this from someone who really hates needles), and the 15 minute wait afterward (to make sure I didn't drop or die) went by quickly.  I had another good talk with the traffic police as well as the TV reporter who was there to document all the fun.  

Because I like to acknowledge people who do good things, I wrote a note in the comments section of the JFRD website.  Of course, it bounced back as "undeliverable."  Now that I'm retired, I have plenty of time for stubborn persistence.  I sent an email to the City of Jacksonville.  Lo and behold, I got a response the next day thanking me and letting me know that the officers I mentioned got the message and that he would investigate the bounce back issue of the JFRD website.  Victory!  Hooray!!! 

Sometimes the wheels of government turn slowly.  Next challenges: my husband's first vaccination and my second.  


Comments

  1. I have heard about the problems, long lines and hustling to get to site, with the County delivering the vaccine. Today, the State is offering shots at the Regency Mall. Phone number: 1-866/200-3762

    The number is public but I'm sharing it here because of your theme. You must be a Florida resident (Duh!), produce ID and insurance info.

    Back story: Yesterday I told my hair stylist that I was frustrated with the Prime Osborne and senior center offerings, and when she found a site with this number today, she immediately alerted me. So thankful, husby and I have appointments for Friday, first dose! It was all done by phone, using the 800 number. Maybe your husband can get his first vaccination very soon.

    https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/01/20/regency-mall-now-a-covid-19-vaccination-site/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marian! My husband has asthma and a heart condition, so this vaccination is very important. Best to you and your sweet husband.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short