Kayaking

 When I retired, I thought I would try lots of new adventures.  Nope, not so much.  But, I did try something new today, thanks to a good friend (I'll call her Merry, because that's her name).  Merry owns a kayak and belongs to a kayak club!  Who knew kayak clubs were a thing?  I know now.

Our adventure started with me meeting Merry at a rather hinky parking lot.  I was parked in front of the Consuming Fire Ministries.  Merry told me to be careful that they didn't "scoop me up."  Yes, I am probably a candidate for the ministries, but they didn't notice me, so I wasn't set on fire.  Whew.  I followed Merry to her kayak club which was REALLY locked up tight, but, as a member, Merry had a key.  Hooray!  We made it.  That was the easy part.  

Next, we had to get Merry's kayak out of her car, and my loaner kayak out of the club's kayak garage (storage area? locked place where they keep the kayaks?).  Some heavy lifting and groaning (by me) ensued.  Merry is used to all this twisting, turning, toiling stuff; she's been at it for a while.  So, now we have to get the kayaks on the dock, then on the floating dock, then into some sort of kayak shoot thingy from which we launch ourselves in our kayaks into the river by performing a sort of butt-pushing-forward-motion and paddles-in-the-grid arm work.  I learned a lot even before I got out on the river.  But, thanks for my expert butt-pushing- forward-motion, I was launched!!!  Yay me!!!  Merry took a lot less time and effort to launch; she has the experience. 

Once we were launched, we could paddle along at our leisure.  I have to say that it was truly lovely!  The water was calm and, because we left early in the day, it wasn't hot and humid on the river.  It was about as perfect as perfect can be when one is trying something new.  Merry was very complimentary about my paddling, going so far as to say that I looked like a natural.  That was really nice of her; she looked like a pro!!!  The river was quiet and so peaceful; we saw birds and lots of bubbles in the water from turtles swimming by.  I don't think I killed any of them with my paddle.  Yay me, again!!!  

From the effort of the launch and the intense butt action, as well as the paddling, I starting sweating a lot (I sweat a lot in most circumstances), but Merry had advised me to bring a cold drink along.  I had one of those electrolyte filled sports drinks with me and I'm really glad I did.  Thanks, Merry!   After about 90 minutes on the river, we headed back to the shore.  I think I did pretty well for my first time out.  Merry is a great teacher.  She has always been a great teacher; she retired after 30 years as a college professor.  She's extremely smart, and patient, and encouraging, and kind.  

Of course, we had to get the kayaks out of the water and into their respective places in the kayak house (?).  That was a tiny bit tougher since I had already gotten my exercise getting them into the water and paddling around.  We survived, though, and treated ourselves to a lovely early lunch at one of our favorite restaurants.  I brought a garbage bag upon which to park my wet butt in the restaurant.  Everyone was grateful.  And, I am grateful to my friend Merry for introducing me to the wonderful world of kayaking.  Let's go again soon now that my butt has dried.  


Comments

  1. You took to kayaking like a duck to water - and gratefully for both of us did not end up IN the water๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. I loved our adventure❤ and I'm just fortunate to still be physically fit enough to share this experience - I only started after retirement myself.
    Yay us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay us for sure!!! Looking forward to our next adventure ❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Struggles

Blonde and Skinny and Fake

Love, Heartbreak, and Life Is Short